December 21st, 2012 |
West Erie County
DWCO Randy Leighton, email@example.com
Conditions: Weekend fishing was fair to good with a mix of fresh and blackened fish throughout the tribs. Area weather has been very mild for this time of year with only a few inches of snot so far. Fishing has been good at the Elk Creek access this past week end with very little angling pressure. . Temperatures at dawn kept the water just at the freezing point but not cold enough to make ice an issue....yet. Single eggs, sucker spawn patterns, shiners will keep you busy if you are on them. Winter is a terrific time to fish the tribs if you prepare for the cold weather and the ice water.
There are still large numbers of fish holding in the nursery waters at Trout Run. Many of the fish are blackened and starting to weaken however, close observation revealed a surprising number of fresh fish mixed in the pack especially since we really haven't had any severe weather yet. Fishing the shoreline at Trout Run has been good with many days still seeing little or no wave action. Shoreline fishing should remain good until the we get into freezing temperatures and heavy winter wave conditions.
Walnut Creek is still holding fish in the Project waters although they are scattered and well spooked. Anglers are still doing fair to good along the wall leading to the Lake and if patient, in the basin. . The Manchester Hole is still loaded with fish and will continue to draw a good number of anglers until ice over.
Walnut Creek Office: The Walnut Creek Access office will be open Friday from 7:00 am to 5:30 pm and beginning December 24th, will be closed for the winter. Port A Johns and dumpsters will remain in the area for your convenience.
Make a New Year's Resolution !!!
1. It's quantity not quality for most children -- they're satisfied catching lots of smaller fish such as bluegills rather than catching fewer, bigger fish such as bass or steelhead. Catching a few fish on the first outing will peak childrens interest and make them look forward to the next trip.
2. Pick a place that is easy to get to, comfortable and safe.
3. Give them simple tackle, a closed faced real, bobber and a simple baits -- nothing can be more discouraging to a child than complicated equipment or equipment that doesnt work.
4. Have realistic expectations when taking young children -- realize children can have short attention spans and may want to move on to something else after a very short time. Take time out to explore the area you are fishing. Try looking for bugs or animals or even skip stones across the water. You cant expect kids to have the same level of enthusiasm you do the first few trips. Dont make fishing a chore for them.
5. Along with that, be patient. You'll be unsnagging lines, baiting hooks and landing fish for them.
6. Throw in a treat for them... an after fishing ice cream cone or meal.
Support Your Local Sportsmen's Clubs:
One My Favorites for the Holidays, Smoked Steelhead/Salmon Dip:
Combine ingredients in a bowl or with a processor and allow to "settle" in the fridge until chilled. Overnight is best. Dip will keep for several days in the fridge
Down to the Holiday Shopping Wire:
Have a meaningful, safe, and happy Holiday season on behalf of all the officers along Pennsylvania's North Coast
Wednesday Night...Cloudy...rain...mainly in the evening. Lows in the upper 30s. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80 percent.
Thursday...Mostly cloudy. A chance of rain in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 40s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.
Thursday Night...Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of rain. Lows in the mid 30s. Northwest winds around 10 mph...becoming north after midnight.
Friday...Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of snow showers. Near steady temperature in the mid 30s.
Friday Night...Mostly cloudy and cold. Near steady temperature in the lower 30s.
Saturday...Cloudy with a 40 percent chance of snow. Highs in the lower 40s.
Saturday Night...Cloudy with a 30 percent chance of snow showers. Cold with lows in the upper 20s.
Christmas Day...Cloudy with a 40 percent chance of snow showers. Highs around 40.
Sunday Night...Cloudy with a 40 percent chance of snow showers. Cold with lows in the upper 20s.
Monday...Cloudy with a 40 percent chance of snow showers. Highs in the upper 30s.
Monday Night...Mostly cloudy and cold. Near steady temperature in the lower 30s.
Tuesday...Mostly cloudy. Highs in the upper 30s.