One Pound Nine Ounce Citation Perch|
July 28th, 2010
Bass fishing in Presque Isle Bay is still good but slowed somewhat. Anglers are picking up bass and rock bass along the North and South Piers.
Current Lake Erie water temperature off Toledo is 77, off Cleveland is 76 and off Erie, 78 degrees.
2010 Summer Slam Tournament (formerly the Pro Am Tournament) The Erie Pennsylvania Sport Fishing Association will be holding their 2010 Summer Slam Tournament on August 7th and 8th. For more information, rules and registration go to 2010 Summer Slam
Unseasonable Summer is Cause for Caution:
Threats of Lightening:
2) Should you spot a threatening cloud ... even at a distance ... stop all contact with the water. Discontinue all water activities such as fishing or swimming. (Beware: Graphite fishing rods and aluminum landing nets are excellent conductors.)
3) Lower or remove radio antennas and other metal rod objects (unless they are part of a lightning protection system).
4) Disconnect and don't touch any electronic equipment, including the radio.
5) Stay in the center of the cabin or as low in the boat as possible to avoid becoming a human lightning rod. For the same reason, do not put each hand on any items connected to the electrical system at the same time.
Navigating in High Wind and Waves:
2) Waves should be approached at a 45-degree angle. This will help keep the propeller underwater and reduce pounding.
3) In moderate seas, slow your speed so you can ride atop and over a wave. Avoid driving the bow into a wave or riding to the top of the wave and falling off the back, which could bury the bow.
4) Remember ... the heavier the seas, the slower your boat speed to minimize strain on the vessel and maximize steering control.
5) Continue to keep the bilge free of water to prevent the rolling effects of sloshing water below.
Boater's Safety Tip of the Week:
Wednesday Night...Showers and thunderstorms likely. Muggy. Lows in the lower 70s. West winds 10 to 15 mph...becoming northwest after midnight. Chance of rain 70 percent.
Thursday...Partly cloudy with a chance of showers in the morning... Then mostly sunny in the afternoon. Not as warm with highs in the mid 70s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.
Thursday Night...Clear. Lows in the mid 60s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph...becoming northeast after midnight.
Friday...Sunny in the morning...then becoming partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 70s.
Friday Night...Partly cloudy in the evening...then becoming mostly cloudy. Lows around 60.
Saturday...Partly sunny. Highs around 80.
Saturday Night...Mostly cloudy. Lows in the lower 60s.
Sunday...Partly sunny. Highs in the upper 70s.
Sunday Night...Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 60s.
Monday...Partly sunny. Highs in the lower 80s.
Monday Night...Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 60s. Chance of rain 30 percent.
Tuesday...Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 80s. Chance of rain 40 percent