December 6th, 2006|
West Erie County, DWCO Randy Leighton, WCO Brook Tolbert
With the mercury taking a dramatic plunge, the mild weather was whisked away almost over night. With a half a foot of snow blanketing the area, trib levels have come up. Fishing reports earlier this week have been good to excellent with anglers having a bonanza on Sunday and good catches were observed off the "wall" at and from the marina basin at the Walnut Creek Access. Fish are well scattered throughout the tribs and fishing should remain good for a while. Sucker spawn patterns in a variety of colors have been very popular baits along with shiners, single eggs, sacs, and the micro jigs. With overnight temperatures dipping into the twenty's, ice on the tribs may not be far away. Anglers coming from out of town, particularly from the south would be wise to check weather forecasts before making the long trip. With Lake temperatures relatively warm and ambient temperatures low, lake effect snowstorms can occur quickly in our area, often dumping snow along the lake shore and in the snow belt between Meadville and Edinboro.
Current Lake Erie Water temperature off Erie is 44 degrees. West County tributary conditions as of Tuesday afternoon were up from last week with fair flow and and some color
PFBC Representative John Simmons To Speak at PA Steelhead Association Meeting:
This month's Pennsylvania Steelhead Association meeting will be held Wednesday December 13th at the American Legion Post on Route 5 just East of the Airport. This is a "must attend" meeting for those concerned about future angling access along the Erie Tributaries and the progress that the PFBC is making on this delicate issue. John Simmons from the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission is scheduled to be in attendance to discuss updates on progress regarding the PFBC easement program along with other important issues. John always brings up to the minute information from Harrisburg. This should be a great meeting with a solid agenda and an opportunity for questions. As always, the public is welcome.
Reminder on Perch:
The perch size limit has now changed to 7" effective December 1st, 2006 to March 31st, 2007 for Lake Erie and Presque Isle Bay. The daily creel limit remains at 30 fish.
Walnut Creek Access Office Update: The Walnut Creek Access office will be open Friday the 8th, Saturday the 9th and Sunday the 10th from 7:00 AM to 5:30 PM. with Friday the 15th from 7:00 to 5:30 PM being the last day open for the season. Building restrooms will be closed for the winter at that time.
Winter wading tips:
3) With changing ice and snow conditions and quick water run off, be aware of rising water depth along the tribs. Levels snow and rain along with moving ice can raise trib levels in the blink of an eye.
4) Snug fitting (neoprene) waders are normally warmer and are not prone to filling up with water in the event of a fall. A wading belt should always be worn with loose fitting waders.
5) Standing in ice water for hours can really numb the legs more than is felt making it difficult to walk. Take frequent warm up breaks and keep the hot beverages handy.
6) Winter angling along the tribs, especially in the more remote areas can be dangerous. Buddy fishing is always a good idea and always let someone at home know where you are going and when you plan to return.
7) If you do fall in fast moving water, try to position yourself with your feet downstream, spread your arms to keep you head above water, and ride it out till you gain firm footing. In most cases the ride will be short and you can get out of the water quickly to avoid hypothermia